Reddit is a site that claims to be the first page of the internet. These are not mere hypes as it’s the fifth most popular site in the USA according to Alexa’s ranking. It’s an all-inclusive site as everybody or anybody can create an account and even post a topic for discussion. As such, adverting on this site is one of the most effective ways to reach a wide majority of the people in the US and even all over the world.
How much do Ads cost on Reddit? Reddit ads are not that expensive, but the success of your campaign depends on the way you set it up. However, to address our question of concern, we can precisely quote that Reddit charges a $0.75 per thousand impressions with a minimum budget of $5.
This site is not like any other social network like Facebook where you can get away with cheap and scammy adverts. If you don’t get it right from the start, your campaigns will be buried deep down the trench even before they see the light.
The advertising cost is subject to other variables like the target city if you want to do targeted advertising. We shall look at all the factors and elements that can directly or indirectly affect the cost of ads on Reddit.
Factors Affecting the Advertising Cost on Reddit:
- If you are submitting the Ad for the first time, your card will be charged $0.01, but this amount will be refunded after 30 days. It’s a charge just to make sure that the card is valid and properly working.
- The cost of other competing bids: Just like in any business, if you are planning to place an advert on Reddit, you must be within the budget of the other related advertisers. You can’t claim to be part of the same flock but fly differently. Remember the minimum daily spend is $5.
- The billing threshold: Once you achieve a threshold for the billing you have set, you will automatically be charged with the next threshold in the subsequent campaign. For example, if you get successfully billed for $20, the next billing will be on $50. Basically, the billing schedule thresholds are progressive.
- The daily spend on a campaign depends on the total budget allocated. For example. If you are planning on using $200 in the course of 10 days, the daily spend would be $20 if we hold all the other factors constant. However, in most of the times, the impression might not be many in the first days, and the unused amount will be pushed forward to be used in the remaining days.
- If the Ad fails to get approved for any reason, your card is not charged anything. However, since systems are prone to error, if you get improperly charged for a campaign that was not launched, you should use the Reddit help desk to claim a refund on the same.
- If the Ad fails to deliver the total budget across the campaigns, you will get the refund of the unused amount within 24 hours after the expiry or end of your campaign. Please allow at least 5-working days for the money to be debited in your account.
- However, above all the factors we have outlined above, if you share really valuable photos, images, or any other piece of content on the Reddit platform, it can easily make it to the much coveted first page without paying any cent. This happens if your content has the highest value in as far as the difference between up-votes and down-votes are calculated.
How to put up a Successful Ad Campaign on Reddit?
If you are planning to put up an advertising campaign on Reddit, it’s worth noting the following points:
- Set up a different advertising account because it’s not advisable to run the campaigns on your personal Reddit handle. Always try to keep business and personal matters separate. It will also be easier to interact with the redditors as well as monitor your campaign while on your old account.
- Offer something of value: Please note that while running an ad on Reddit, you have already been marked as sponsored. Users will try to scrutinize and either down or up-vote your campaign. If you don’t craft your advert cleverly, it can end up hurting your business due to the massive down vote it might receive.
- Be transparent: To appear genuine to the Reddit users, be prepared to answer questions and explain who you are and why you think you are the solution to the problem you are claiming to solve. In your answer try to respond with the same voice, for example, if someone in humorous, reply with equal or higher degree of humor.
- Be prepared to defend your claim: Redditors will not allow any spammer or a cheap advertising agent to tarnish the whole picture. As such, they will ask you brutally honest questions and even smash you right on the face with facts if you are trying to trick them in clicking something which is not worthy.
- Budget well: There is nothing wrong with running an advert that’s above the minimum threshold but since you are not the only advertiser on the platform, it’s advisable to have a budget which is enough and within the limits of other competitors.
Setting up an Advert on Reddit:
The two definite options while setting up an advert are either to hire someone to do it for you or do it yourself. The choice on the option to use depends on the financial restrictions as well as how knowledgeable you are on the topic. The most used advert creation option on Reddit is the self serve advertising sponsored link.
Self serve advertising sponsored links:
These are simple Ads to set and are the best starting point for novice Reddit users. In the campaign dashboard, set the start as well as the end date of the campaign. This can be up to 3 months. It’s advisable to target subreddit rather than the front page of the internet while setting up your campaign.
Once you get to the content and link section, put up a catchy title plus an external URL or a concise post. Make it clear what you are promoting and what you expect from the redditors. Allow the comment button to get the most out of your campaign.
How to Find Your Audience on Reddit:
Majority of the people placing adverts on Reddit are still losing it by thinking that placing the advert on the first page of the internet yields the maximum results. Far from that, majority of the redditors who visit the first page of the internet are looking for a very specific thing and will make you exhaust your budget without much to show for the money.
Instead of going on the first page of the internet which can be tempting because it’s much cheaper, look for a subreddit that’s influential enough in relation to your topic. The subreddit must be small but have enough page views to meet the minimum budget.
To help you get the right subreddit without incurring additional costs of data mining, there are some inbuilt tools and features which you can use to do the job. You can use subreddit bundles, Reddit list or snoopSnoo. Stay away from third-party tools to dig up data on Reddit.
You can also gauge whether you can get the qualifying number of Reddit users to run a campaign by checking the provided statistical data. For example, a Reddit thread with approximately 10, 000 users can easily hit the one thousand views or at least 6666 page views in the course of 3-month.
Once you get the right Reddit thread, just set up the campaign through the simplified self-help process on Reddit advertising page. Click on create a new Ad and proceed sequentially since it’s a self-guided process. Once fully set, the campaign will be launched at the specified time or within 48 hours.
If you follow the above-mentioned criteria, there is a high probability that you will achieve the desired results on your campaign.
Why does Reddit reign as an advertising platform?
Reddit has a wide following which comprises of targeted customers around almost any imaginable topic. Every Reddit user has a front page on the internet that displays the latest trending contents on the internet. The site gets approximately 1 billion unique visitors per month.
What are the basics for advertising on Reddit?
Redditors are a composition of active users who will fight any advertising campaign trying to promote substandard products. As such ensure that whatever you are promoting is of high quality and don’t target multiple subreddits at the same time.
What not to do on Reddit?
As mentioned before, Reddit is a lively community that hates push-on Ads which are just focused on deriving clicks or some other activities. If you can’t craft a well compelling message to post on Reddit, please hire someone to do it for you. Reddit is not the place for memes or the faint-hearted. Be prepared to explain everything and positively take criticism.